Welcome to ASSIST
The ASEAN Solutions for Investments, Services and Trade (ASSIST) is a non-binding and consultative mechanism for the expedited and effective solution of operational problems encountered by ASEAN-based enterprises on cross-border issues related to the implementation of ASEAN economic agreements and within the framework of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) launched in 2015. ASSIST is fully internet based and free of charge.
The ASSIST mechanism was established to implement the ASEAN Consultations to Solve Trade and Investment Issues (ACT) mandated under the ASEAN Trade in Goods Agreement (ATIGA) and it is loosely based on the European Union’s SOLVIT system. ASSIST reaffirms the consultative and non-binding characteristics of the ACT, while modernising its structure and enabling the mechanism to operate in a more effective and efficient manner.
What types of issues does ASSIST deal with?
- Various tariff and non-tariff-related measures affecting goods;
- Issues in the area of cross-border services; and
- Measures limiting investment in various sectors of ASEAN integration.
ASSIST does not deal with any of these issues:
- Employee/employer disputes or discrimination claims;
- Matters that are being or have been litigated/arbitrated in national jurisdictions;
- Complaints against individuals or companies;
- Matters not related to intra-ASEAN trade, services or investment;
- Visa and residence rights; and
- Cross-border movement of capital or payments.
The list above is merely indicative and non-exhaustive in nature. In case of doubt, before filing a complaint, please check whether your grievance falls within the scope of ASSIST by contacting ASSIST’s Central Administrator at assist[a]asean.org (assist.asean.org/read/contact)